Gyms and fitness centers began to resume activities on May 4, 2020. Phase 2 removes some restrictions. Effective Date – Monday, June 15, 2020
Phase II Guidelines
Facilities can continue these activities if they meet the following requirements:
- Screening must be completed on entry for all staff and participants. Those who have any of the following characteristics should NOT be allowed to enter:
- Have had a fever of 100.4°F or greater in the last 2 days;
- Have a cough, difficulty breathing, sore throat, or loss of taste or smell;
- Had contact with a person known to be infected with COVID-19 within the previous 14 days.
- Signs must be posted at all entrances advising the public that they may wish to refrain from entering if:
- They are 65 years of age or older.
- They have underlying health conditions including high blood pressure, chronic lung disease, diabetes, severe obesity, asthma, or weakened immunity In addition, staff must have their temperature checked by digital thermometer prior to entry. Do not allow entry to anyone whose temperature is greater than 100.4⁰F.
- Staff should wear a face covering or mask at all times. Patrons should wear a face covering except when actively exercising.
- The use of pools, spas, showers, saunas, etc. may resume at this time. Maintain physical distancing while in locker rooms. Facilities should clean and disinfect locker rooms, showers, spas, and saunas frequently depending on usage.
- Make hand sanitizer available throughout the facility.
- Staff should ensure that all exercise machines and equipment are sanitized after each usage (via wipedown with disposable disinfectant wipes, Lysol or the equivalent; use according to product instructions).
- Maintain proper spacing from others by working out with 12 feet between each person. This may require closing or moving some equipment.
- Avoid personal contact at all times, including hand shaking.
- Individual training sessions, indoor group fitness classes, and workouts requiring a partner must maintain 12 foot spacing between each person.
- Indoor and outdoor swimming pools at a gym, fitness center, or athletic club may now operate in accordance with the Directive for Recreational Pool Reopening.